Friday, July 2, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Summer

So here's the deal. I love summer. It is my favorite time of year. It really is crazy how when the sun comes out I sort of come to life a little bit more. Maybe it's because I'm not waking up at five thirty in the morning to go scrape my car before going to weights in the dead of winter. When it is pitch black outside and all I want to do is go back inside to my warm bed. Or maybe it's because I get to see my family and friends once in a while, instead of spending my weekends, Thanksgivings, and Christmases on basketball trips in random places like: North Dakota, Montana, or Illinois-to name a few. Or maybe it is because I get to go to bed late at night, sleep in late into the afternoon, and chill out by the pool and dive into whatever book I'm reading at the time. Or maybe it is because I have more excuses to eat snow cones and ice cream.
I think it is a combination of all of these.
However, as much as I abso-freakin-lutely love summer, it definitely has its downsides. Here is one of them...

So my friend Dani was visiting this last week because we played in a basketball tournament then reffed games for SUU. We thought it would be a lot of fun to sleep outside under the stars in honor of July. I thought it was going to be awesome-the sound of crickets, the warm summer air, yada yada yada.

Psyche.

I failed to mention my yard is right behind a few fast food restaurants and gas stations. As I tried to fall asleep I was able to hear everything some lady ordered-from her roast beef sandwhich to her curly fries. Apparently she thought either the person taking her order was deaf, or that the machine was broken. Because she had to shout this order so loud, I think the whole street heard what she wanted. So there I am, trying to fall asleep, and as I roll over to get comfortable, I roll right onto a ginormous root. Needless to say, the night wasn't as awesome as I imagined it being.

So I awake the next morning to the blazing hot sun with minimal sleep, knots in my back, and itchy-swollen eyes (I forgot to mention I'm allergic to grass).

Sleeping outside is OVER-RATED.

The End.

ps-I still love summer :)

1 comment:

  1. Ha that is awesome. I doubt I would have done that where you live sis and even if I did, I would have been inside as soon as that dumb idiot was ordering Arby's in the middle of the night. :) Love ya

    ReplyDelete